Smart Hotel Door Lock
RFID locking system
RFID stands for ‘radio-frequency identification’ and means recognition through electromagnetic waves. The contactless transmitter-receiver system identifies objects and people with radio waves. It can be used with an electronic door lock. For this purpose, a chip is coded and built into a small transponder, placed on the door. The authorization check is carried out by data transfer via the radio frequency. Depending on the provider, the guest’s transponder can look like a key fob, card, special bracelet, etc.
The RFID locks are already widely used in hotels because the code cards can be reprogrammed for each guest.
• Full-time control over the door;
• Individual programmability;
• Suitable for disabled people with physical limitations;
• Low level of vulnerability. • High cost compared to an ordinary lock;
• In case of a power failure, an RFID lock cannot be opened.
2. Code lock with PIN
This type of locks can be accessed if the correct sequence of digits is entered on a keypad or touchpad. The input field is usually attached to a wall at a maximum of 50 cm from the code lock. The software allows recording the time of access, among other things. Compared to touchpads, keypads are splash-proof, have a smaller surface area and are thus less vulnerable.
• You can pass the PIN easily:
• Multi-user access:
• Possibility to use several PINs;
• Low level of vulnerability. Unauthorized persons can get the code and enter
3. Lock with a chip card
Electric door locks with a sensor and a chip card are wide-spread in hotels. First of all, they can be easily reprogrammed. Another factor that makes them increasingly attractive for hoteliers is the ease of use both for guests and hotel employees.
• Perfect for many users;
• Chip cards can be passed on;
• Easy reprogramming. Unfortunately, cards can be lost
4. Lock with smartphone control
The locking system with smartphone app control is still relatively new. The door can be opened via Bluetooth. However, guests must always carry smartphones with them and keep the battery charged.
• Fast check-in;
• PMS integration;
• Easy door opening with a mobile phone;
• Different app functions;
• Multi-user access. • Wireless connection is absolutely necessary;
• Availability of a smartphone with a charged battery.
Well-known brands and manufacturers of electronic door locks: Abus, Burg Wächter, Nuki, Homematic, TSE, Danalock.
How to choose a door lock for your hotel?
With a great variety of options on the market, you should consider the following factors:
1. Type of credentials
Key Cards or Numeric Codes?
Using numeric codes for each door can lead to various complications, such as the need to change them frequently after each stay. Also, guests often forget the code they were assigned.
Hotel Key Cards can be used by guests during their stay and returned on departure. It is better than having to change the codes every time a customer checks out.
2. The type of key card
RFID Cards, Magnetic Cards, Smart Cards?
The RFID cards are very popular. The smart cards are a high-frequency version with much larger storage capacity.
3. The type of access control
Consider your access requirements. For example, with cloud-based systems, you can change access settings from anywhere.
4. The type of entry control
• Fail-safe – the system unlocks the door when the power is cut;
• Fail-secure – the system unlocks the door when the power is applied.